Interpret the given information relating to the use of crawler dozers to carry out excavating and/or forming operations.
Interpret and extract information from drawings, specifications, schedules and manufacturers' information.
Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
State the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
– drawings, specifications, schedules, manufacturers' information, method statements and regulations and guidance applicable to crawler dozer excavating and/or forming operations.
Organise with others the sequence and operation in which excavating and/or forming operations using crawler dozers are to be carried out.
Organise the work according to given information or instructions.
Describe how to communicate ideas between team members.
Organise and communicate with team members and other associated occupations.
State how to organise resources prior to and during excavating and/or forming operations using crawler dozers.
Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance to carry out excavating and/or forming operations with crawler dozers.
Describe their responsibilities under current legislation and official guidance whilst working:
– in the workplace, below ground level, at height, in confined spaces, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
State what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
Maintain safe working practices when preparing for and carrying out excavating and/or forming operations using crawler dozers.
Use personal protective equipment (PPE) to safely carry out the activity in accordance with legislation and organisational requirements during excavating and/or forming operations.
Explain why and when personal protective equipment (PPE) should be used, relating to excavating and/or forming operations, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type.
State how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.
Request and select the required quantity and quality of resources to prepare for and carry out excavating and/or forming operations using crawler dozers.
Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, limitations and defects associated with the resources, and how they should be used correctly, relating to:
– consumables, lubricants and fuels
– attachments and extraction/excavation aids
– hand tools, ancillary equipment and/or accessories.
Request and select resources associated with crawler dozers in relation to consumables, materials, attachments, tools, accessories and/or ancillary equipment.
State how the resources should be used correctly, how problems associated with the resources are reported and how the organisational procedures are used.
Outline potential hazards associated with the resources and method of work.
Describe how to calculate quantity, weight, length and area associated with the method/procedures to carry out excavating and/or forming operations using crawler dozers.
Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when excavating and/or forming materials using crawler dozers.
Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage.
Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
Dispose of waste in accordance with legislation.
State why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in relation to the work.
Complete the work within the allocated time when preparing to and excavating and/or forming materials using crawler dozers.
Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
Shut down and secure crawler dozers.
State the purpose of the work programme and describe why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
– types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
– organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
Comply with the given contract information to excavate and/or form ground using crawler dozers to the required specification.
Demonstrate the following work skills when preparing for and excavating and/or forming ground using crawler dozers:
– fitting, attaching, setting up, securing, adjusting, checking, removing, communicating, operating, manoeuvring, positioning, excavating and/or forming, measuring and removing.
Prepare, position, set up and operate crawler/tractor dozers to given working instructions.
– excavate to line and level and stockpile different types of ground
– spread, form and shape ground and/or loose materials.
Describe how to apply safe work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish authority needed to rectify, to:
– identify the characteristics of the crawler dozers used for the excavation and/or forming work
– carry out performance checks
– prepare, set up and adjust for operational requirements
– complete functional checks
– carry out pre-operational checks for obstructions, stability, safety and security of the work and surrounding area
– identify the area to be excavated/formed
– check to avoid damage to structures and utilities service apparatus
– excavate or form materials safely and securely
– form stockpiles
– shut down and secure crawler dozer
– use hand tools, ancillary equipment and accessories.
Safely use and store hand tools and ancillary equipment.
State the needs of other occupations and how to communicate within a team when preparing to and carrying out excavating and/or forming operations.
Describe how to maintain the plant, tools and equipment used to excavate or form ground.