Interpret the given information relating to the use of 180 degree excavators to carry out extracting and excavating operations.
Interpret and extract information from drawings, specifications, schedules and manufacturers' information.
Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
State the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
– drawings, specifications, schedules, manufacturers' information, method statements and regulations and guidance applicable to extracting and excavating operations.
Organise with others the sequence and operation in which extracting and excavating operations using 180 degree excavators are to be carried out.
Organise the work according to given information or instructions.
Describe how to communicate ideas between team members.
Organise and communicate with team members and other associated occupations.
State how to organise resources prior to and during extracting and excavating operations using 180 degree excavators.
Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance to carry out extracting and excavating operations with 180 degree excavators.
Describe their responsibilities under current legislation and official guidance whilst working:
– in the workplace, below ground level, at height, in confined spaces, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
State what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
Maintain safe working practices when preparing for and carrying out extracting and excavating operations using 180 degree excavators.
Use personal protective equipment (PPE) to safely carry out the activity in accordance with legislation and organisational requirements during extracting and excavating operations.
Explain why and when personal protective equipment (PPE) should be used, relating to extracting and excavating operations, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type.
State how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.
Request and select the required quantity and quality of resources to prepare for and carry out extracting and excavating operations using 180 degree excavators.
Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, limitations and defects associated with the resources, and how they should be used correctly, relating to:
– consumables, lubricants and fuels
– attachments and extraction/excavation aids
– hand tools, ancillary equipment and/or accessories.
Request and select resources associated with 180 degree excavators in relation to consumables, materials, attachments, tools, accessories and/or ancillary equipment.
State how the resources should be used correctly, how problems associated with the resources are reported and how the organisational procedures are used.
Outline potential hazards associated with the resources and method of work.
Describe how to calculate quantity, weight, length and area associated with the method/procedures to carry out extracting and excavating operations using 180 degree excavators.
Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when extracting and excavating materials using 180 degree excavators.
Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage.
Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
Dispose of waste in accordance with legislation.
State why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in relation to the work.
Complete the work within the allocated time when preparing to and extracting and excavating materials using 180 degree excavators.
Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
Shut down and secure 180 degree excavators.
State the purpose of the work programme and describe why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
– types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
– organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
Comply with the given contract information to extract and excavate materials using 180 degree excavators to the required specification.
Demonstrate the following work skills when preparing for and extracting and excavating loose materials and ground using 180 degree excavators:
– fitting, attaching, setting up, securing, adjusting, checking, removing, communicating, operating, manoeuvring, positioning, extracting, excavating, forming, measuring, removing and loading.
Prepare, position, set up and operate 180 degree excavators to given working instructions.
– extract loose materials and/or different types of ground
– load and/or stockpile loose materials and ground
– excavate different types of ground.
Describe how to apply safe work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish authority needed to rectify, to:
– identify the characteristics of the 180 degree excavator used for extraction and excavation work
– carry out performance checks
– prepare, set up and adjust for operational requirements
– complete functional checks
– carry out pre-operational checks for obstructions, stability, safety and security of the work and surrounding area
– identify the area to be extracted and excavated
– check to avoid damage to structures and utilities service apparatus
– extract, excavate, remove and load materials safely and securely
– form stockpiles
– shut down and secure 180 degree excavators
– use hand tools, ancillary equipment and accessories.
Safely use and store hand tools and ancillary equipment.
State the needs of other occupations and how to communicate within a team when preparing to and carrying out extracting and excavating operations.
Describe how to maintain the plant, tools and equipment used to extract and excavate materials.