Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures.
Interpret and extract information from drawings, specifications, schedules, survey information and manufacturers' information.
Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statement.
State the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
– drawings, specifications, schedules, manufacturers' information and regulations governing the Utilities services.
Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures.
Describe their responsibilities under current legislation and official guidance whilst working:
– in the workplace, below ground level, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
State what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
State the types of fire extinguishers available when locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures and describe how and when they are used.
Maintain safe working practices when locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures.
Use personal protective equipment (PPE) safely to carry out the activity in accordance with legislation and organisational requirements when locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures.
Explain why and when personal protective equipment (PPE) should be used, relating to locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type.
State how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.
Demonstrate the safe use of a fire extinguisher relevant to a typical fire associated with locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures as relevant to the operations.
Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to locate and protect utilities apparatus and sub-structures.
Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
– electronic instruments
– marking and protection materials
– hand and/or powered tools and equipment
– ancillary equipment.
Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, tools, equipment and electronic location instruments.
State how the resources should be used correctly, how problems associated with the resources are reported and how the organisational procedures are used.
Outline potential hazards associated with the resources and method of work.
Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures.
Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage.
Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
Dispose of waste in accordance with legislation.
State why the disposal of waste should be carried out in relation to the work.
Complete the work within the allocated time when locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures.
Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
State the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
– types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
– organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
Comply with the given contract information to locate and protect utilities apparatus and sub-structures to the required specification.
Demonstrate the following work skills when locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures:
– measuring, calculating, locating, marking out, positioning, protecting and securing.
Locate and protect sub-surface and overhead Utilities apparatus to contractor’s working instructions, relating to:
– gas, electric, communications, water, sewage.
Describe how to apply safe work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– identify utilities apparatus and sub-structures by electronic location, trial holes and visual
– confirm the type of service (gas, electric, communication, water, sewage)
– confirm structures (foundations, manholes, inspection chambers, joint/junction boxes)
– confirm any natural environment (tree roots, natural watercourse)
– mark the location of the service apparatus and sub-structures
– provide for the recognition and protection of the service apparatus and sub-structure during operational activities
– use hand tools, power tools and equipment
– work at height.
Safely use and store hand tools, portable power tools, ancillary equipment and electronic instruments.
State the needs of other occupations and how to communicate within a team when locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures.
Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures.