Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when laying flexible pavements.
Interpret and extract information from drawings, specifications, schedules and manufacturers' information.
Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statement.
State the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
– drawings, specifications, schedules, manufacturers' information and regulations governing laying of flexible pavement.
Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when laying flexible pavements.
Describe their responsibilities under current legislation and official guidance whilst working:
– in the workplace, below ground level, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
State what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
Maintain safe working practices when laying flexible pavements.
Use personal protective equipment (PPE) safely to carry out the activity in accordance with legislation and organisational requirements when laying flexible pavements.
Explain why and when personal protective equipment (PPE) should be used, relating to laying flexible pavements, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type.
State how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.
Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to lay flexible pavements.
Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
– sub-base and bituminous surface materials, bitumen sealer and emulsion
– hand and/or powered tools and ancillary equipment.
Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, tools and equipment.
State how the resources should be used correctly, how problems associated with the resources are reported and how the organisational procedures are used.
Outline potential hazards associated with the resources and method of work.
Describe how to calculate quantity, length, area and wastage associated with the method/procedure to lay flexible pavements.
Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when laying flexible pavements.
Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage.
Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
Dispose of waste in accordance with legislation.
State why the disposal of waste should be carried out in relation to the work.
Complete the work within the allocated time when laying flexible pavements.
Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
State the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
– types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
– organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
Comply with the given contract information to lay flexible pavements to the required specification.
Demonstrate the following work skills when laying flexible pavements:
– measuring, marking out, laying, spreading, rolling, compacting and finishing.
Lay flexible pavement to contractor’s working instructions relating to:
– sub-base construction
– bituminous surface material.
Describe how to apply safe work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– prepare the area for laying of flexible pavement
– assess the suitability of flexible pavement materials
– lay, compact and finish sub-base and bituminous surface of the flexible pavement
– use hand tools, power tools and equipment.
Safely use and store hand tools, portable power tools and ancillary equipment.
State the needs of other occupations and how to communicate within a team when laying flexible pavements.
Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when laying flexible pavements.