Interpret the given information relating to the preparation of, and the arranging and securing of plant for haulage.
Interpret and extract information from drawings, specifications, schedules and manufacturers' information.
Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
State the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
– drawings, specifications, schedules, manufacturers' information, method statements and regulations and guidance.
Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance to carry out the arranging and securing of plant for haulage.
Describe their responsibilities under current legislation and official guidance whilst working:
– in the workplace, below ground level, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
State what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
Maintain safe working practices when preparing for and arranging and securing plant for haulage.
Use personal protective equipment (PPE) to safely carry out the activity in accordance with legislation and organisational requirements when arranging and securing plant for haulage.
Explain why and when personal protective equipment (PPE) should be used, relating to arranging and securing plant for haulage, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type.
State how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.
Select the required quantity and quality of resources to prepare for, and when arranging and securing plant for haulage.
Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, limitations and defects associated with the resources, and how they should be used correctly, relating to:
– load restraint and securing accessories inc. wire rope, chain, fabric, web hooks, shackles and clamps
– hand tools and ancillary equipment.
Select resources associated with the work in relation to load restraint and securing accessories and/or ancillary equipment.
State how the resources should be used correctly, how problems associated with the resources are reported and how the organisational procedures are used.
Outline potential hazards associated with the resources and method of work.
Describe how to calculate weight/bearing pressure, quantity, length and area, and identification of centres of gravity associated with the method/procedures to carry out the work.
Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when arranging and securing plant for haulage.
Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage.
Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
Dispose of waste in accordance with legislation.
State why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in relation to the work.
Complete the work within the allocated time when preparing to, and arranging and securing plant for haulage.
Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
State the purpose of the work programme and describe why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
– types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
– organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
Comply with the given contract information to prepare to, and arrange and secure plant for haulage to the required specification.
Demonstrate the following work skills when preparing to, and arranging and securing plant for haulage:
– selecting, fitting, attaching, adjusting, setting up, checking, configuring, measuring, gauging, calculating, positioning, removing and storing.
Prepare to, and arrange and secure plant for haulage to given working instructions, using appropriate restraining methods and restraining/securing accessories on the following types of plant.
– wheeled plant
– tracked plant
– compacting plant.
Remove restraining/securing accessories from plant following haulage and ready for movement from the transporter.
Describe how to apply safe work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish authority needed to rectify, to:
– identify the characteristics of the plant and restraining/securing accessories
– determine methods for restraining
– select and use suitable restraining/securing accessories
– arrange and secure plant
– confirm stability, positioning and weight distribution
– remove and store restraining/securing accessories on completion of haulage
– work at height
– use hand tools, ancillary equipment and accessories.
Safely use and store hand tools, restraining/securing accessories and ancillary equipment.
State the needs of other occupations and how to communicate within a team when preparing to and arranging and securing plant for haulage.
Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used to arrange and secure plant for haulage.