Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when installing random roof slates to diminishing margins.
Interpret and extract information from contractor’s working instructions.
Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statement.
State the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
– contractor’s working instructions, manufacturers' information, regulations governing buildings, procedures for dealing with damaged and incorrect materials and/or resources.
Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when installing random roof slates to diminishing margins.
Describe their responsibilities under current legislation and official guidance whilst working:
– in the workplace, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, company and operative.
State what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
Maintain safe working practices when installing random roof slates to diminishing margins.
Use personal protective equipment (PPE) and access equipment/working platforms safely to carry out the activity in accordance with legislation and organisational requirements when installing random roof slates to diminishing margins.
Explain why and when personal protective equipment (PPE) should be used, relating to installing random roof slates to diminishing margins, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type.
State how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.
Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to install random roof slates to diminishing margins.
Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
– random sized natural slates, fixings, soakers, ridge and hip tiles, battens, boards, mortar, ventilation systems
– sand, cement and additives
– hand and/or powered tools and ancillary equipment.
Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, fixings, tools and equipment.
State how the resources should be used correctly, how problems associated with the resources are reported and how the organisational procedures are used.
Outline potential hazards associated with the resources and method of work.
Explain how to calculate quantity, length and area associated with the method/procedure to install random roof slates to diminishing margins.
Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when installing random roof slates to diminishing margins.
Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage.
Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
Dispose of waste in accordance with legislation.
State why the disposal of waste should be carried out in relation to the work.
Complete the work within the allocated time when installing random roof slates to diminishing margins.
Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
State the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
– types of work schedules/diaries, progress charts, timetables and estimated times
– organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
Comply with the given contract information to install random roof slates to diminishing margins to the required specification.
Demonstrate the following work skills when installing random roof slates to diminishing margins:
– measuring, grading, sizing and holing, setting out, marking out, cutting, fitting, mixing, positioning, securing and finishing.
Install battens, random sized natural slates (head- or centre-nailed) and related fittings, fixings and components to contractor’s working instructions, using new and/or reclaimed materials for roofs with
– verges and ridges
– eaves and tops course
– dry and/or sand and cement wet finishing details.
Describe how to apply safe work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– assess suitability of sub-structure for re-roofing
– set out for battens and/or to boards, natural random slates and components
– hole, size and cut
– install slates (head- or centre-nailed), fittings and components to eaves and tops course, verges, ridge, hips, valleys, openings, abutments and general areas
– mix sand and cement
– mix mortar with additives
– unobtrusively include reclaimed materials
– use hand tools, power tools and equipment
– work at height
– use access equipment.
Safely use and store hand tools, power tools and ancillary equipment.
State the needs of other occupations and how to communicate within a team when installing random roof slates to diminishing margins.
Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when installing random roof slates to diminishing margins.