Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when thatching roof structures.
Interpret and extract information from drawings, specifications, schedules and manufacturers' information.
Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statement.
State the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
– drawings, specifications, schedules, manufacturers' information and regulations governing buildings.
Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when thatching roof structures.
Describe their responsibilities under current legislation and official guidance whilst working:
– in the workplace, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
State what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
State the types of fire extinguishers available when thatching roof structures and describe how and when they are used.
Maintain safe working practices when thatching roof structures.
Use personal protective equipment (PPE) and access equipment safely to carry out the activity in accordance with legislation and organisational requirements when thatching roof structures.
Explain why and when personal protective equipment (PPE) should be used, relating to thatching roof structures, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type.
State how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.
Demonstrate the safe use of a fire extinguisher relevant to a typical fire associated with thatching roof structures as relevant to the operations.
Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to thatch roof structures.
Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
– straw, reed, sedge grass, coppice materials, heather, marram, bent, bracken, rush, flax, turf netting, lead, mortar, fixings and ancillary items
– hand and/or powered tools and equipment.
Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, fixings, tools and equipment.
State how the resources should be used correctly, how problems associated with the resources are reported and how the organisational procedures are used.
Outline potential hazards associated with the resources and method of work.
Describe how to calculate quantity, length, area and wastage associated with the method/procedure to thatch roof structures.
Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when thatching roof structures.
Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage.
Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
Dispose of waste in accordance with legislation.
State why the disposal of waste should be carried out in relation to the work.
Complete the work within the allocated time when thatching roof structures.
Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
State the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
– types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
– organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
Comply with the given contract information to thatch roof structures to the required specification.
Demonstrate the following work skills when thatching roof structures:
– measuring, marking out, fitting, finishing, positioning and securing.
Thatch roof structures to given working instructions to provide a surface to prevent the penetration of water, by:
– thatching roof with at least one of the following: long straw, combed wheat reed, water reed, sedge grass, coppice materials, heather, marram, bent, bracken, rush, flax, turf or other specialist local materials
– forming main casework, eaves, gables and ridge work.
Describe how to apply safe work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– thatch roofs with: long straw, combed wheat reed, water reed, sedge grass, coppice materials, heather, marram, bent, bracken, rush, flax, turf
– use thatching materials to: form main casework, eaves, gables and ridge work
– form joins with other roofing materials and abutments
– use access equipment
– use hand tools, power tools and equipment.
Safely use and store hand tools, portable power tools and ancillary equipment.
State the needs of other occupations and how to communicate within a team when thatching roof structures.
Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when thatching roof structures.