Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when installing components for warm roof construction.
Interpret and extract information from contractor’s working instructions.
Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statement.
State the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
– contractor’s working instructions, manufacturers' information, regulations governing buildings, procedures for dealing with damaged and incorrect materials and/or resources.
Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when installing components for warm roof construction.
Describe their responsibilities under current legislation and official guidance whilst working:
– in the workplace, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, company and operative.
State what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
Maintain safe working practices when installing components for warm roof construction.
Use personal protective equipment (PPE) and access equipment/working platforms safely to carry out the activity in accordance with legislation and organisational requirements when installing components for warm roof construction.
Explain why and when personal protective equipment (PPE) should be used, relating to installing components for warm roof construction, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type.
State how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.
Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to install components for warm roof construction.
Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
– underlays, battens, counter-battens, insulation, ventilation systems, timber and batten stops
– hand tools and ancillary equipment.
Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, fixings, tools and equipment.
State how the resources should be used correctly, how problems associated with the resources are reported and how the organisational procedures are used.
Outline potential hazards associated with the resources and method of work.
Describe how to calculate quantity, length and area associated with the method/procedure to install components for warm roof construction.
Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when installing components for warm roof construction.
Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage.
Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
Dispose of waste in accordance with legislation.
State why the disposal of waste should be carried out in relation to the work.
Complete the work within the allocated time when installing components for warm roof construction.
Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
State the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
– types of work schedules/diaries, progress charts, timetables and estimated times
– organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
Comply with the given contract information to install components for warm roof construction to the required specification.
Demonstrate the following work skills when installing components for warm roof construction:
– measuring, cutting, marking out, fitting, positioning and securing.
Install warm roof components to roofs with ridges, verges, hips and valleys and abutments to contractor’s working instructions for:
– underlay, battens and counter-battens
– ventilation systems
– rafter level insulation
– batten stops
– supporting timbers (valleys, hips, ridges, abutments and openings)
– ancillary components.
Describe how to apply safe work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– fix underlay to roof design, battens and counter-battens
– install ventilation systems
– form warm roofs
– install rafter level insulation
– install batten stops
– install supporting timber at hips, valleys, ridges, abutments and openings
– install vapour control layers
– use hand tools and ancillary equipment
– work at height
– use access equipment.
Safely use and store hand tools, power tools and ancillary equipment.
State the needs of other occupations and how to communicate within a team when installing components for warm roof construction.
Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when installing components for warm roof construction.