Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when preparing backgrounds for natural stone surfacing.
Interpret and extract information from drawings, specifications, schedules and manufacturers' information.
Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statement.
State the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
– drawings, specifications, schedules, manufacturers' information and current regulations.
Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when preparing backgrounds for natural stone surfacing.
Describe their responsibilities under current legislation and official guidance whilst working:
– in the workplace, below ground level, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
State what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
Maintain safe working practices when preparing backgrounds for natural stone surfacing.
Use personal protective equipment (PPE) and lifting equipment safely to carry out the activity in accordance with legislation and organisational requirements when preparing backgrounds for natural stone surfacing.
Explain why and when personal protective equipment (PPE) should be used, relating to preparing backgrounds for natural stone surfacing, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type.
State how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.
Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to prepare backgrounds for natural stone surfacing.
Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
– protection materials
– signs, lights, guarding and lifting equipment
– blinding, sub-bases, road-bases
– drainage materials, service ducts
– edge restraint
– hand and/or powered tools and equipment.
Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, fixings, tools and equipment.
State how the resources should be used correctly, how problems associated with the resources are reported and how the organisational procedures are used.
Outline potential hazards associated with the resources and method of work.
Describe how to calculate quantity, length, area and wastage associated with the method/procedure to prepare backgrounds for natural stone surfacing.
Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when preparing backgrounds for natural stone surfacing.
Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage.
Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
Dispose of waste in accordance with legislation.
State why the disposal of waste should be carried out in relation to the work.
Complete the work within the allocated time when preparing backgrounds for natural stone surfacing.
Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
State the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
– types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
– organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
Comply with the given contract information to prepare backgrounds for natural stone surfacing to the required specification.
Demonstrate the following work skills when preparing backgrounds for natural stone surfacing:
– measuring, marking out, locating, protecting, trimming, levelling, draining, placing and securing.
Prepare backgrounds for natural stone surfacing for footways or carriageways, to given working instructions, relating to:
– site preparation
– drainage duct installation
– edge restraint
– pavement construction.
Describe how to apply safe work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– locate and protect services
– recover and set aside ironwork
– excavate existing surfaces
– load and/or stockpile arising, grading to size as necessary
– excavate to line and level and prepare formation to tolerances
– install drainage/service duct
– level, spread and compact road-base and/or sub-bases as applicable
– install base for edge restraint
– use hand tools, power tools and equipment
– use lifting equipment.
Safely use and store hand tools, portable power tools and ancillary equipment.
State the needs of other occupations and how to communicate within a team when preparing backgrounds for natural stone surfacing.
Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when preparing backgrounds for natural stone surfacing.